Now this is different! The middle eastern flavours, heartiness of lamb and unique flavor of eggplant makes for a truly creative dish that will take your taste buds on a journey. Bit of fresh yoghurt and mint on the side… yes please!
3 medium size eggplants
1 teaspoon salt
500g lean free range lamb mince
2 -3 tbsp olive oil
2 brown onions, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp allspice, ground
1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1/2 cup (120g) five:am greek style yoghurt (additional to serve)
50g pine nuts, toasted
Fresh mint leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180¡C.
2. Slice the eggplant in half length-wise and scoop out the flesh. Sprinkle the eggplant with salt and leave to sweat. Finely dice the flesh and set aside.
3. Heat a pan on medium-high heat 2 -3 minutes, add olive oil and brown lamb mince well. Remove mince from pan and set aside.
4. Return the pan to the heat with a little olive oil. Add onion, garlic, diced eggplant and spices to the pan and brown well for 4 -5 minutes. Remove from heat and add to the lamb, mix well to combine.
5. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, and stir in fresh mint, five:am greek style yoghurt and pine nuts.
6. Rinse the eggplant skins and pat dry with paper towel.
7. Arrange the clean eggplant skins in a shallow baking dish and spoon in the lamb mixture.
8. Cover eggplants with foil and bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and serve hot with a generous dollop of five:am greek style yoghurt and garnish with fresh mint leaves.